Sunday 26 April 2015

Lopi Love :)

I got this lovely bundle of yarn in the post this week . . .


It made me very happy indeed!  I'd spent a lot of time thinking about this yarn - should I buy, should I not?  I can't really afford it but . . . .  Anyway to cut a long story short I've had a little craving to make a Lopi sweater for a few weeks now - not sure where it came from, some Ravelry inspiration probably!  Anyway I realized it was Other Half's birthday next month - I had my raison d'etre or rather an excuse! to go ahead and buy the yarn to make him a sweater.  Actually I bought half this month and will buy the other half next month - split the cost, needs must!

Yarn arrived on Tuesday lunchtime . . . I had the sweater started on the needles by the afternoon, hehe!  Was in fact the day my eldest was going back to Uni - so the knitting was keeping me calm and relaxed in between packing duties!  Here's the start of the Lopapeysa (icelandic sweater - I've been doing my usual research!) . . . 


I'm really happy with the colour combinations - sorry, they're not quite clear here, but they are a charcoally black (black sheep heather to be exact!), off-white/natural (ecru heather) and a lovely earthly mossy green.  I'm using a sweater pattern from a Lopi yarn booklet I bought last month - oodles of lovely icelandic sweaters, cardigans, hoodies - swooooooon!

Here's the stage of knitting today - not far off from finishing the main body of the sweater which is knit in the round . . .


I really love this yarn - it's chunky weight so knits up fast and is really warm and lightweight.  I'm sure there was a craze in the late nineties? here in the Hebrides for these sweaters, I don't know anyone personally who owns one though so I'm very excited to be making one.  It's all going swimmingly so far- fingers crossed!  The patterned yoke will be the biggest challenge so I'll have to take extra care then :)

We should all be wearing Lopapeysas today - look at the snow here, brrrrrrrrr! . . .


Poor wee lambs will be shivering next door!

Will keep you posted on my lopapeysa progress - such a lovely knit :)
Cheerio an Drasda!
Alison x

4 comments:

homemade@myplace said...

BRRRRRR !!!!!!
Lovely work, anyway!!!! ;oD
Have fun my dear, xxxxx Ale

Sam Findlay said...

Wow it looks great! Love the colour combination, looking forward to seeing the patterned yoke!

fairislerona said...

Made one of these when I was a teenager Alison and they are definitey 'in' at the moment. The best thing about them is the fact that they knit up so quickly, look forward to seeing the 'outcome' x

june at noon said...

Wow, you made serious progress. I like the colors, too. Perfect for your landscape!