Saturday 27 October 2012

Felting a sweater . . . . or what to do with a drizzly Saturday afternoon :)

. . . or should I say felting a cardigan.  I've been looking at this cardigan for the last week or two . . .

. . . it has some sentimental value, so I didn't want to put it to the Charity shop, and I don't want to wear it myself either . . . so what to do with it?

It has some lovely applique detailing . . . 


. . . and some nice buttons . . .


Turns out I think they look like coconut husk? . . .

It's made from 80% wool and 20% acrylic.  Eureka! - why don't I try to felt it - I've never tried this before but this seemed the perfect opportunity - a decent wool garment, with some nice features (and buttons!).

Looking at the care label, I think I just about did the opposite of what you should do to look after a good woollen garment, so I'm thinking this is the way to go!  This is an easy craft, just do the opposite of what you're told to do, I like it - hehe! . . . 


I put it inside a pillow case so that any loose fibres wouldn't clog up my washing machine - then put it on a setting of 60 degrees centigrade, tied the pillow case closed and threw it in with a couple of towels and a  pair of jeans, and left it to its own devices!  An hour or so later . . . 

. . . it has shrunk by half and I think it looks like it's felted pretty well!  The fibres look more tightly joined and the knitted stitches have almost disappeared.  I read somewhere that you should put the item in a tumble dryer, which I currently don't have, but I thought a washing line in the Outer Hebrides would do much the same job LOL . . . 

I didn't leave it out for long as the rain started, so it's now drying on a heater indoors.  I'm really excited about using the felted material - I'm not sure if I've felted it enough, but it seems OK.  There are lots of tutorials online to help, here's one of many.

I guess if the finished fabric doesn't unravel much (or at all!!) when I cut into it's good enough.  Great for using for some felt applique shapes and lots of other crafty uses.  I will update you once I get the scissors out!

Have you tried felting knitted items?  Any interesting, unexpected results?

It's turned out all Wintry here in the Hebrides this weekend - some snow and hailstones yesterday - yikes!  Perfect crafting weather tho :)

Alison x

1 comment:

homemade@myplace said...

Clever idea Alison!!! It"s something that I would love to try, one day...when I'll be back in Europe, where I'll use again wool sweaters and cardigans!!! I have a lot in one of my bamboo chest back at home!!
happy weekend, xxx Ale