Tuesday 20 March 2012

Background project . . .

I've had a notion for some time to undertake a personal 'background' project - I came across Pip's 'A Granny a Day' project over the weekend, and felt a little inspired to join up and make something on a bigger scale ie. a crochet afghan/blanket. The whole notion has evolved over the last couple of days - initially I had the idea of making a coverlet for one of the boys bedrooms, so it has to be something funky, colourful - and not too 'lacey', so the typical granny blanket isn't what I have in mind. I seem to have a slightly different take on the granny square idea - but I think the concept is to provide motivation to have fun and be creative with crochet squares on a 'possibly' daily basis.

I tried to make one of the fabulous crochet blocks from my '201 crochet motifs, blocks, projects and ideas' book by Melody Griffiths on Sunday - I loved the look of this log-cabin patchwork inspired block, so I gave it a whirl . . .

I didn't use the colour scheme, but just had to go with what yarns I have, which are pretty limited! It was a test piece but I'm gonna use it anyway as I want my blanket to look quite spontaneous and experimental. I like the idea of it looking a little like lego blocks, a little 'modern art', a little rustic/tribal - it'll be a mish-mash basically!

I don't have a lot of left over yarn, but I do have a huge ball of lovely cream aran yarn, which I'm thinking of using as blocks in between . . .

I started making these little 3 inch treble squares to use in between the larger 6 inch coloured squares, this is all experimental you understand! I did work out that if I wanted to make a single bed coverlet it would require 60 large squares in total, but broken down into 30 large squares and 120 little ones - eeeks!

I joined the four treble squares to the larger patchwork one as I wanted to see if the idea will actually work, I think I'm going to have some trouble with the treble squares pulling against the straight lines of the log-cabin effect square . . .

. . . back to the drawing board maybe, but I might just carry on and let it 'evolve' hehe! I've very little yarn and I'm thinking of just using the dribs and drabs I have and acquiring odd balls of cheap yarn wherever I can find them, over the next few months. If you want to join up to Pip's project just click here

. . . I'll maybe do a monthly post on the progress of the blanket, when there's something of interest to show! I DO hope to continue learning to make different kinds of granny squares/blocks in between (possibly daily, possibly not!) . . . it's all a bit of fun :D

Teenage Son is working towards his BIG exams over the next few weeks, so that's a bit of a major priority at the moment (aside from tweedying and crocheting!) - pity I'm not much use when it comes to Higher Physics but I DO make a good cup of tea!

Alison x

6 comments:

Fairly Bad Mother said...

Lovely idea, I started crocheting just last year doing basic granny squares, it was just this week I picked up my 200 crochet blocks by Jan Eaton that I realised I can actually read the pattern!

My first blanket took 120 squares and is huge, my second I made larger squares so only took 80 - this is a house warming present for my son and his girlfriend, my current one is about the same again - for my daughters new home.

Look forward to seeing the progress

Swirlyarts said...

That's a lot of squares..... I'm putting off making my many quilt ideas. Not sure until when though :)

Biba said...

Wow, another idea for crochet squares, lovely! Thank you!

Claire said...

Hey Alison all the best with your blanket idea.....love the description of little lego blocks or modern art.
Think a quilt in those colourful squares would be great for a boy.......

You're going to be busy crocheting all those squares , definitely a labour of love if you go ahead with it. But it's something that will be used and love for many years to come.

Decisions, decisions, look forward to seeing which way you got with it.

Claire x

june at noon said...

Such a fun project! It's possible the variance of one style granny square versus the other will look cool once it's all done--but then you have to take that risk. Or maybe doing the "plain" squares in the same style, just without all the color will be better? I know you'll come up with something great.

Lesley said...

I've never seen a project like this one before, lovely idea. I like those grannies with the flowers on, just 4 of those little squares will make a beaut. cell phone cover for my little $15 Tracfone SVC for seniors that I have to carry around my neck. I like this little phone as it has large keys and letters on the screen and it costs me $7/mnth for service.
My favourite things to make these days are ipad and nook covers with felt birds and giraffe and elephants on. People go made for the cutesy animals.