Tuesday 27 April 2010

Old Tweed Jackets!

I was rummaging in the family button tin last night and came up with a new design for my Harris Tweed i-phone pouch. For a while now I've been wanting to come up with a more traditional/masculine version of my 'embroidered button detail' design which is very much a feminine i-phone pouch in appearance.

I've been musing about how to add a design feature to a more traditional style of pouch without it looking too 'girly' and I'm hoping this one, inspired by 'old tweed jackets' will fit the bill. I used a double thickness of strong black felt as a tab closure with velcro fastening - the leather button is a design feature. I can understand why they used leather buttons on tweed jackets now - I think they're lovely! The pouch would look very classy in some of my traditional herringbone tweed I've been using recently - once I source more of the buttons I'll add it as a custom design, but hopefully some 'ready-made' ones will pop up in my Etsy shops soon too!

Not just for the boys these - if you're like me you probably have a secret passion for these traditional 'suiting' tweed patterns, there's something very romantic about them!

Sheeeeesh, just look at me making gadget pouches, it's enough for me to remember to charge my mobile phone, at the best of times - funny old world!

Cheerio an Drasda - off to scramble about for more old leather buttons :)

6 comments:

Steph said...

Very classy! I love those buttons!! Good luck finding some more :)

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Ok...now you have me on the hunt for tweed jackets at my Salvation Army thrift shop!! I love leather buttons.;-)

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

Fabulous! Great design and I agree that the buttons make a brilliant feature. Really like these.

june at noon said...

Awesome buttons, and it's indeed a very classy look. Love the tweed and the leather together.

Biba said...

Beautiful! I love leather buttons as well, so combined with Harris Tweed they are another 'dream combo'!

WendyCarole said...

very smart I love it.