Friday 2 April 2010

Fame at Last (well, not really!!)

Just popping in briefly before the Easter weekend descends upon us! Lots of lovely family arriving today by train, bus, ferry - it's quite a journey for some :)

Although I have been on 'holiday' this week, it's been more of a 'networking-free' break and I've been busier than I thought 'craft-wise', ain't that always the way! You decide to switch off for a bit and these darned creative ideas keep popping into your head!!! Well, quite a few have developed into finished pieces and made it into my Etsy shop - AND would you believe the Front Page of Etsy!! . . . and I missed it :(

Never mind, now I know why these ladies suddenly became very popular overnight! I didn't really make a conscious decision to make a set of matryoshka dolls - they just somehow happened! A quick doodle turned into a finished piece quite quickly, and my first patterns miraculously worked out first time, right size, shape, etc - sometimes that just happens!

I enjoyed making them so much, I made another one the next day . . .

This one's having a little snooze in the Hebridean sunshine - briefly, probably!

To finish off, I've just completed another of my Harris Tweed 'crafty' Art Dolls - the first one was snatched up so quick, I didn't have time to blog about it - thankyou Mojca, hehe!! These little dolls came about from an initial idea to make a slightly mythical, small, textural fabric doll - which would be more of an art-piece as opposed to a child's toy.

What emerged was a doll (with moveable limbs) draped in oddments of tweed (the edges have been left to fray) - they remind me a little of some kind of character from a Japanese children's animation, watching too many cartoons again! The clothes/tweed oddments have been very simple attached with a stitch here and there and can simply be removed and replaced with whatever you wish - hence the 'crafty' part of the title. Of course, they can be enjoyed in their own right as a decorative art-doll, and would look pretty cute on a shelf.

The matryoshka dolls are in my Etsy shop and 'Little blog Shop' and the 'Crafty/Art Doll' should be joining them very soon - now I really am taking a break! Hope everyone has a great Easter weekend :)

Don't eat too much chocolate now, I know I will, he he!!

8 comments:

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

So happy about the Front Page ...yeah!! Be sure to get a screen shot of it for your blog!! Happy Easter...;-)

Swirlyarts said...

Congrats on the front page. There is a flickr group that does screencaps of all the Etsy front pages but I can't remember what it is called! If you search the forums on Etsy you should be able to find it. Also Craft Cult might have a record of it too - click on the heartomatic button.

Tweed Thoughts said...

Thank you both - I'm so dissapointed I missed it! Off to hunt for a screenshot now :)

june at noon said...

Oh, Alison, they're all so lovely! I especially like the set in the first photo. The front page place is well deserved. I have a feeling you won't be holding on to these ladies long at all!

Tweed Thoughts said...

Thanks Gretchen - I have just popped over to your blog, whoo hoo!! How fab is YOUR doll - just amazing, hehe :)

Marion said...

Hi Alison
You HAVE been busy - really like everything you've done this week. The matroyska ( didn't spell that right!) dolls are perfect in that tweed. I think you've hit on a winner there!

Tweed Thoughts said...

Hi Marion - that's what happens when I don't blog for a week, hehe!! Seriously, it's probably a good idea to sit back once in a while, and let the ideas flow :) I've enjoyed my, er ... break!!

Biba said...

Congratulations on the Etsy front page! I missed it as well, unfortunately, so it's really nice you've managed to get a screen shot of it!