Thursday 6 November 2008

Christmas Bauble Prototype!


This is a very quick post as I managed to do a very speedy prototype of my Harris Tweed Christmas Bauble earlier on today. It was one of these things - I made a quick sketch of the bauble panel, hoping it would be the right size and lo and behold it was! It's the size of a golf ball approximately and I think it has a lot of potential for some lovely embellishments.

It would be fun to do a tutorial on this cos I think it's a really simple idea and could be achieved by most crafty folk, but has the scope to become a really elaborate piece if you used embroidery skills, etc. Not being such an accomplished embroiderer (is that a word??), I think I'll leave that to the professionals! I threaded some raffia through the completed ball to give it a natural looking finish. I'm thinking: sewn on silver/gold sequins, pretty ribbon tied round the middle, applique decoration - the list is endless!! Lots of possibilities. Decorate with french knots?

This is just the basic model, but I think there's scope for some fun with this! Ah well, back to fulfilling my orders - it would be fun to spend all my time inventing new ideas. This one might have to wait a couple of weeks before I manage to take it further. (I think it would be lovely in different fabric too).

I hung it on a fir tree outside to get the basic idea, but it's difficult to get a good view of it - there's four panels in four different colours (not very traditional colours, I know!).

5 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

this looks really good :) a tut would be very welcome. you could also make up decorating kits for selling with them so people have decorated supplies right away. Would be a bit more work getting the kits together but I think they would work well.

Tweed Thoughts said...

Hi Jennifer - that's a good idea. I think this would make a good tutorial because it's quite simple and manageable for people with basic sewing skills. Might try this for contribution to the CIC blog. (I seem to be really into 'kits' at the moment!).

Muddlepud said...

Cute! You could also put some yummy smelling potpourri or a few drops of essential oils inside to make it smell Christmasy, like pine or cinnamon. I don't mind the non-traditional colors at all. I think it'll be a great product!

Sarah Mac said...

Hi Alison - must admit a tutorial would be wasted on me.....totally useless with a needle. But when can I buy some??!!
Sarah

Tweed Thoughts said...

Hopefully I will have these available online quite soon :-) Just a bit more tweaking and refining!*?