Saturday 20 September 2008

Proverbs (Sean-fhacail)


Another case of two posts in one day! Don't hold your breath - it usually means I haven't blogged for a month! When I rediscovered my 'crafty' inclinations a couple of years ago (this co-incided with my youngest child starting school), I became interested in using proverbs (Gaelic ones in particular) in my work. I intended to use them possibly as part of a cushion cover, wallhanging or similar - however I took a completely different direction and decided to make Harris Tweed dinosaurs instead! Anyway, during the summer tidy up of my work area, I came across my humble (and rather crude) first attempts at embroidering text.

I took out a book on Gaelic proverbs/sayings from the local library as reference. This one made me laugh, which I guess is why I used it. Roughly translated, it means "You don't know someone until you've shared/burned a peat stack with them". Peat was the traditional fuel in the islands until a few years ago. Every house had a peat stack beside the home and ours was no exception. I think the proverb makes reference to a married couple, (a peat stack would last for up to a year) - suggesting you don't know someone until you've lived with them in close domestic proximity for some time). I might be wrong!! but that's my interpretation.

4 comments:

Ishbel Murray said...

I suppose the modern version would be- Chan aithnich thu fear gus an loisg thu tanca ola comhla ris - doesn't quite have the same ring to it, Still it's a good principle.
Oidhche mhath

Iseabail X

Tweed Thoughts said...

I think a monthly post on Gaelic proverbs (sean fhacail) would generate a bit of fun debate! Next month's "sean fhacail" will be .... (I'd better get that book out of the library again!)

A.

Ishbel Murray said...

How about an old favourite like - "Ruigidh each mall muilinn" Handy one for situations which don't seem to be making much headway. And I can think of a few of those right now. Grrrr!

Ishbel

Tweed Thoughts said...

"A lame horse will reach the mill?" - you need a good holiday! See you soon. A.